Can empty-hand jujitsu techniques improve your weapon skills? We asked our friend George Kirby this question, and the result is our latest free ebook—Basic Jujitsu Techniques: 4 Budoshin Moves to Improve Your Jujitsu Weapons Training.
Long before the Brazilian jiu-jitsu tidal wave washed over the world, George Kirby was diligently spreading the gospel of traditional jujitsu across the Western Hemisphere. Now a 10th-degree black belt, George Kirby is our go-to guy for jujitsu techniques and principles, which is why we inducted him into our Hall of Fame as our 2007 Instructor of the Year.
Despite its reputation as “the gentle art,” jujitsu provides a solid foundation for weapons training. In our free ebook, George Kirby will teach you how to make your weapon an extension of your body. As an added bonus, George Kirby also will show you four empty-hand jujitsu techniques. Here’s just a taste of what you’ll learn.
George Kirby Jujitsu Technique: Inner-Sweeping Hip Throw
1) Assume a ready position facing your attacker.
2) Block his right punch with your left forearm.
3) Step in close with your right foot, pivoting on your left foot. Your right arm should go underneath his left arm around his body. (This is just one method of grabbing your opponent for a hip throw. Usually, the height and weight of your opponent will determine how you grab him with your right hand.)
4) Hold the attacker tight against you. Your right foot should be just inside and in front of his right foot. Your right hip does not block his right hip as much as in the basic hip throw.
5) Push your right foot and leg outward against his to sweep his leg out and up. Continue to move like with a basic hip throw, balancing on your left leg.
6) Once your opponent is thrown, drop your right knee into his armpit for a submission.
We hope you enjoy George Kirby’s Basic Jujitsu Techniques. Are there any other topics that you’d like us to explore? Let us know what you think in the comments field.
(George Kirby is a 10th-degree black belt in jujitsu as well as an internationally recognized martial arts instructor and author of five books, jujitsu DVDS and magazine articles. George Kirby is also the co-founder of the American Ju-Jitsu Association. To learn more about these and other basic jujitsu techniques, check out Jujitsu: Basic Techniques of the Gentle Art Expanded Edition by George Kirby.)