Kenji Yamaki is one of only 14 people in the world claimed to have endured the 100-man kumite — the ultimate test of martial arts mastery devised by Mas Oyama, the founder of kyokushin karate.
If you weren’t on-site to witness that event, you may have seen Kenji Yamaki in 1989′s The Punisher portraying a member of the Yakuza. Or you may have seen him on both the May 2011 and the February/March 2014 issues of Black Belt magazine.
Of course, you’re most likely to find him teaching at his Yamaki Karate dojo in Torrance.
It is from that school in Southern California that we interviewed Kenji Yamaki for the special-features section of his best-selling two-DVD set Full-Contact Karate: Advanced Sparring Techniques and Hard-Core Physical Conditioning regarding this topic of the 100-man kumite.
Kenji Yamaki spoke candidly about what happened to him, offering us — and viewers of his two-DVD set — a vivid first-person account of pitting his will and body against staggering physical and mental punishment.
KENJI YAMAKI VIDEO
Modern Karate Master Offers His Account of Surviving the 100-Man Kumite
Learn about the genesis of brutal tests such as
the 100-man kumite in this FREE download!
History of Karate: Inside Mas Oyama’s
Hard-Core Kyokushin Karate Conditioning Program
In the complete interview from which this excerpt is taken, Kenji Yamaki explores the following:
- the meaning of self-respect
- student behavior in the dojo
- his personal experience with bullying
- how meditation can enhance physical performance
- the history of the Yamaki Karate school
- his future goals as a martial artist
Apart from the candid interview, the bulk of Full-Contact Karate: Advanced Sparring Techniques and Hard-Core Physical Conditioning includes a wealth of technique instruction and conditioning drills that include the following:
- double attacks
- front-kick combinations
- jumping kicks
- roundhouse-kick drills
- side-step attacks
- extensive drilling for improving the strength and variety of your front-leg kicking techniques
- exercises for specific body parts
- demonstrations of heavy-bag and body-shield drill barrages for building power and endurance
Related Martial Arts Books, E-Books,
DVDs and Video Downloads